English Skill Building – 152
Break down the passages to cimole sentences (News article sourced from the Washington Post)
At the U.S. penitentiary in Marion, Ill., in a special unit so restrictive that it has the nickname “Little Guantánamo,” a broad-chested, mustachioed man nicknamed the “merchant of death,” who speaks at least six languages, was serving a 25-year term after building a gun-smuggling empire that spanned the globe.
1. There is a penitentiary in Marion, ILL (Illinois, in the U.S.).
2. It is a special unit which is very restrictive.
3. Because of its inaccessible environment, it is nick-named “Little Guantánamo.”
4. A broad-chested, mustachioed man nicknamed the “merchant of death,” is incarcerated (jailed) here.
5. He is serving a jail term of 25 years.
6. He speaks as many as six languages.
7. He was convicted of building a worldwide smuggling network for smuggling guns.
His name was Viktor Bout. And his native Russia wanted him home, badly. The big question: Why?
8. His name was Victor Bout.
9. It is not clear why the Russian authorities were keen on his early release.
On Thursday, Bout was swapped in a prisoner exchange for Brittney Griner, the U.S. basketball star detained in Russia since February on drug charges. President Biden commuted Bout’s sentence, a senior U.S. official said.
10. Bout was exchanged on Thursday for Ms. Brittney Griner, the highly-acclaimed U.S. basketball star.
11. According to a senior U.S. official, President Biden commuted Bout’s prison term.
Griner was accused of entering an airport near Moscow in February with vape cartridges containing less than a gram of cannabis oil in her luggage, which is illegal in Russia. Her lawyers said it was prescribed to treat chronic pain and other conditions.
12. Ms. Griner was accused of entering an airport near Moscow in February with vape cartridges containing less than a gram of cannabis oil in her luggage.
13. Carrying such narcotic substances is illegal in Russia.
14. Her lawyers pleaded that it was prescribed to her to treat chronic pain and other conditions.