English Grammar Exercise – 10
English Skill Building – 51
Learn the use of modifiers in English Language and attempt the test underneath
Use of Modifiers
The mansion painted green is occupied by the Imam. (The modifier ‘painted green’ is essential here, because without it, we can’t identify the house.)
This mansion, recently painted green, is occupied by the Imam. (The modifier ‘recently painted green’ is non-essential here, because we have already spotted the mansion by using ‘This’ before it. So, it can altogether be eliminated or different sentence can be written later to say that it was painted recently.)
Use of ‘which’ and ‘that’
This mansion, which has been recently painted green, is occupied by the Imam. (Here the modifier is non-essential. Commas must be used here.)
The mansion that has been painted green is occupied by the Imam. (Here the modifier is essential. No commas are to be used here.)
Correct the following sentences
1. The drama was at last staged, decades after it was written, yesterday.
2. Eve-teasing has, of late, decreased in our college, which has led to a rush of girls for admission here. (Two different answers are possible here.)
3. Upon setting foot in the Moghul court, the opulence and the grandeur befuddled the British traders.
4. Although the bowler looks fit, he feels feverish, and is unlikely to bowl well in today’s one-day match.
5. In Yemen, a recent formed insurgency group, consisting of lightly armed farmers and a few disgruntled army men, is fighting a bitterly ivil war against the government.
6. Afghanistan, which has been ravaged by internal strife for many years after the departure of Zahir Shah, which is now the major worry for the Biden administration, has an economy that shrank 5% last year, which sees the threat of a resurgent Taliban.
7. He eats sugar-free Rasgullas made using SugarFree, a synthetic sweetener, which tastes as sweet as the normal cane sugar that his mother loves, but where there are lesser calories than the equivalent amount of normal sugar.
1. The drama was staged yesterday, decades after it was written.
2. Of late, eve-teasing has decreased in our college leading to a rush of girls for admission here.
There has been a rush of girls for admission in this college of late after eve-teasing decreased here.
3. Upon setting foot in the Moghul court, the British traders were befuddled by its opulence and grandeur.
4. The bowler looks fit, but he feels feverish, and is unlikely to bowl well in today’s one-day match.
5. A recently formed Yemeni insurgency group consisting of lightly armed farmers and a few disgruntled army officers is fighting a bitter civil war against the government.
6. With an economy that shrank 5% last year, Afghanistan, ravaged by many years of internal strife after the departure of Zahir Shah, is now the major worry of the Biden administration due to the threat posed b a resurgent Taliban.
7. His mother eats normal Rasgullas made using cane sugar, where as he eats the sugar free variety made by using SugarFree with comparatively less calorie than what his mother eats.