After Twenty Years
Answers for all the questions from the lesson ‘After Twenty Years’ included in the CHSE +2 book ‘Invitation to English – 2’.
Think it out – 1
1. How does the writer describe the atmosphere of the story?
Answer – The story is set in a lonely rain-drenched night in a desolate street in a city. A police officer is walking down the street, lost in the thought of a fugitive.
2. How did the policeman perform his duties?
Answer – The policeman was smart, professional, and vigilant about the surroundings.
3. What picture of the wanted criminal do you get from the text?
Answer – Apparently, the criminal in the run had a pale face, square jaws, deep and dark eyes, with a scar near the right eyebrow. He was counterfeiting currencies, and no one knew his name.
4. How did the stranger try to interact with the policeman?
Answer – The stranger was the least nonplussed at the sight of the police officer. He began to talk matter-of-factly, showing no nervousness.
5. How did the policeman see the stranger’s face?
Answer – The stranger lit his lighter and brought it near his face. That gave a glimpse of the stranger’s face to the policeman.
Think it out – 2
1. What was the appointment made between two friends twenty years before?
Answer – They both promised to one another that they would meet up in the same place (where the stranger stood then), under any circumstances. It was a solemn promise both agreed to keep despite their profession or place of location.
2. What information about the friends do you gather from their conversation?
Answer – The stranger was risk-taking adventurous type. He moved West to make money. He faced many challenges, but he succeeded. His friend was somewhat timid, and he stayed back in New York to chart his course.
Think it out – 3
1. How long did the man from the West wait? What was the weather then?
Answer – He waited for about twenty minutes.
2. How did the man from the West and the man in a long overcoat greet each other?
Answer – They called out each other’s names. One asked if the other was ‘Bob’, and the second man asked if it was Jimmy Wells.
3. When did Bob realise that the tall man he had met was not Jimmy Wells?
Answer – When they neared a medicine store, its bright light fel on their faces. They looked at each other, and Bob was in for a nasty surprise.
4. Why did Jimmy get Bob arrested?
Answer – Jimmy knew his friend Bob was wanted by Chicago Police. He felt it was unsafe to hobnob with a criminal. So, he had Bob arrested.
5. Did Jimmy keep his appointment with Bob after twenty years? What consideration did he show for his old friend?
Answer – Yes, Jimmy met his friend Bob after twenty years as planned. He was quite friendly. But on discovering tht Bob was a fugitive, he felt he should be arrested. But, it was very unpleasant for him to do so. So, he called in the police.
Click here for the summary of the lesson.
Click here for answers for other lessons in the CHSE +2 1st Year syllabus.