Creative Writing – 140
Comprehension exercises with answers [Source : WP]
Two Israeli military officers were removed from their positions immediately and a third will be formally censured in the death of a 78-year-old Palestinian American man who was detained at a checkpoint in the West Bank last month, the Israeli military said Monday night.
The death of Omar Assad, a former Milwaukee grocery store owner, on Jan. 12 was the result of “moral failure and poor decision-making” by the soldiers who detained him, according to a statement from the Israel Defense Forces (IDF).
The statement, released late Monday, summarized a week-long internal army investigation of Assad’s treatment after an autopsy conducted by the Palestinian Justice Ministry revealed that he suffered a stress-induced heart attack that was probably brought on by being bound, gagged and held by Israeli forces at a cold construction site.
1. Break the above sentence into smaller sentences.
2. Why were the two Israeli officers removed from their positions? What incident caused it?
3. Who was Omar Assad?
4. What did the IDF say about Assad’s death?
5. Break the above sentence to smaller sentences.
6. How long the army investigation into Assad’s death take?
7. How was Assad tortured that led to his death?
1. a. A 78-year-old Palestinian American died in the custody of Israeli military officers at a check point in West Bank.
b. After the incident, two Israeli military officers were removed from service.
c. A third officer will be formally censured.
2. The two officers had overstepped their powers and brutally manhandled the old man. The victim succumbed to the torture. The officers faced disciplinary action because of this grossly illegal act. The fatal attack happened at a check point in West Bank.
3. Omar Assad was a former Milwaukee grocery store owner.
4. The IDF (Israeli Defence Force) termed the fatal assault on Omar as “moral failure and poor decision-making”.
5. a. The statement of IDF was released late Monday.
b. The statement summarized a week-long internal army investigation of Assad’s maltreatment.
c. The autopsy was conducted by the Palestinian Justice Ministry.
d. The autopsy revealed that Ossad suffered a stress-induced heart attack.
e. The report said that the death was probably brought on by being bound, gagged and held by Israeli forces at a cold construction site.
6. It took about a week.
7. Omar Assad was strangled, gagged and beaten mercilessly. It caused his heart to fail leading to his death.